2009-08-17

Firsts

It has been a year! Here are some of the things I've done in the past year:

1) Forgot / lost passport, had to travel 3 hours to get it back
2) Setup an experiment using somewhat dangerous radiation while I was suffering a headache from lack of sleep
3) Was the last person on a plane, having nearly missed it (this experience is over-rated)
4) Laid out a portion of an integrated ciricuit that (if it works, crosses fingers!) will have 5.12 GBps going through it
5) Lost PhD topic
5.5) Lost PhD topic
6) Found PhD topic (errrr.....I think?)
7) Went all-in and won a poker pot, went all-in and lost a poker pot, successfully spotted a bluff at a poker table, successfully set a trap at a poker table
8) Gone to one of those fancy European clubs in Paris (it was worse than I thought and I will not be returning)
9) Bought plane tickets, booked a hotel, flew on plane and checked into hotel within 5 hours of one another
10) Successfully found apartment in a foreign country and moved into it from another apartment
11) Gotten a first-hand view of how difficult it is to be an immigrant
12) Earned the title Expatriate

Things I haven't done:

1) Successfully had a conversation in Dutch (I haven't had many successful ones in English over here, either)
2) Joined a choir
3) Written a paper (I'm working on one right now, and I have two in various stages of the paper pipeline)
4) Used tools to go from VHDL to ASIC

By the numbers:

Guitars purchased - 1
Bicycles purchased - 1
Haircuts - 2
"Original" research ideas that someone else had actually tried but adviser didn't know about - 3
Canned hot dogs consumed - 4
Moose seen - 4 (two real, two mascots)
Shoes purchased - 6
Countries book was purchased in - 5 (6 if you separate England and Scotland, 7 if you include online purchases)
Countries "visited" - 7 (Scotland, US, Canada, Switzerland, Ghana, France, Belgium)
Passport resources used - 27 boxes from stamps, 2 pages from visas
Train tickets purchased - ~100 (I go through about 8 a month)
PB&J Sandwichs consumed - ~150 (they have this awesome sour cherry jam over here)
Emails sent - 2,088 (more than I thought, 25 were to myself)
Emails received - 2,698 (fewer than I thought)
Most lines of code written in a single day - ~3,200 (most of it was test code...firmware test code can be pretty massive to go through the appropriate states)
Lines of code written overall - ~16,000 (again, around 14,000 lines are test code)
Heartbeats - ~37,000,000 (the heart is a work of art)

And finally:

Dutch postcards sent - 0 (yeeeeeeeah...I still owe a lot of people postcards.....)

1 comment:

Gireeja said...

1. me want postcard!
2. yay ghana!
3. yay firsts!
4. where is the number of drunk calls made?