2009-01-15

Quick Hits: Old Unix Feature Hits the Big Time in Windows 7

A new feature in Windows 7 is that when another program prevents you from moving a file, you receive the name of the program. This feature has been in *nix as the "lsof" command since, well, probably around the time I was born. Though it isn't as pretty as the 7 version will be, it is just as functional:

root@hammer:~# lsof /rainbows
COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
cat 14484 liamliam 1w REG 8,1 227082240 9723906 /rainbows
root@hammer:~#

There is an lsof in BSD, but I'm not sure about Mac OS X.

EDIT: BlogSpot, you break my heart by clipping pre-formatted text which is bigger than your box. You break my heart.

EDIT: I upped the window size. I apologize to any readers with an 800-pixel wide screen.

1 comment:

alison said...

If you can describe that bug reproducibly, I can file it.