2009-10-05

Architecture around TU Delft

The weather was nice a few weekends ago, so I went out and snapped a few photos. Enjoy!


This is a picture from the window of my new apartment. I now have a view of the canal. Sorry for the tilt, my head isn't on straight so it looks normal to me.





TNO is a large defense contractor in Delft.




A south view from my building.




A west view from my building, towards the part of town with the high-rise apartment buildings.
I've circled a bunch of the high rise buildings. As I've previously described, most of the development in Delft occurs on the outskirts of town. This preserves the town center as is.



You can see that along the canal there are a lot of industrial type buildings. A lot of heavy freight is shipped along the canals instead of roads, which means that the roads require less maintainence.



Some apartments near the university. You can see part of my building in the background.


Some apartments near the university. They stand over a pond.


Due to all of the bicycle traffic, it can be difficult to know whether a bicycle is supposed to go on a path or not. The people who designed the park in the middle of campus included environmental cues to help. First, the rocks are close enough together that a bicycle would have trouble going between them. Next, the gray sections of the path are rough; riding over the alternating path sections feels unnatural on a bicycle. The path goes down a few steps out of sight, so it is important that bicyclists don't go on this path. People don't seem to like signs here, Delft has a lot of these environmental cues around the city to help bicyclists with whether or not they belong in certain places.


The main bicycle path next to the mechanical engineering building. Exposed stairwells are very common here, I think architects like them.


My building.


The civil engineering building, which also contains administrative offices. Another building with exposed stairwells.


A set of dorm rooms are by my building.


Two Hogeschools (or vocational schools) have opened up next to TUDelft. When they were building this school, they had water in the lot that is now under construction. This building looked like one of those beach buildings on stilts. The empty lot will soon contain housing.



Another vocational school. This one is interesting because it contains a parking lot on the roof!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

It appears living in Delft is not conducive to people who are afraid of heights... also, I got really excited about the Hogeschool for two seconds because it reminded me of Hogwarts. A little silly perhaps. And, does it not get cold enough that the exposed stairwells are rather inconvenient? An exposed stairwell here would be a major incentive to never leave my office (or my lab, vice versa).

oogRobot said...

Re: exposed stairwells, perhaps I misused exposed. I didn't mean exposed to the elements, but rather exposed in the sense that you can clearly see the stairwells. Most of the stairwells still have a few centimeters of glass as insulation. There are some buildings here with outside stairwells, but hardly anyone uses these stairwells, they're more for show.

I imagine it would get a few degrees colder in the stairwells, but I don't think it would be cold enough to deter people from using them.