2009-10-12

How are Our Children Going to Get Out of Bathrooms?

It was roughly 2 am on a standard night at MIT. Pacing the hallways with my trusty football, I asked a few people if they wanted to hit up a local shop for some late night chocolate milk and Italian subs. Receiving an affirmative, I told them I'd be back in a moment. I really had to go to the bathroom.

Having finished my business and washed my heads, I went to unlock the bathroom door. The knob turned, but the latch did not retract. I looked at my football. We were stuck in the bathroom.

After yelling and attracting the attention of some local residents, I asked if they had any bright ideas. One suggested re-locking and unlocking the door, which had allowed her to escape a similar situation several days ago. Alas, it did not work. I looked at my football again. Still stuck in the bathroom.

But wait! I had my trusty Gerber multi-tool with me! Holding my football a bit steadier, I whipped out the mini-screwdriver, took off the doorknob casing, had some friends help take apart the rest of the doorknob, pulled out the latch, and escaped the clutches of the bathroom (EDIT: this sentence was modified to properly attribute work to people missed on the initial post).

Today, the NYTimes ran an article on schools punishing children for carrying multi-tools. I want to know from these multi-tool nay-sayers: Who is going to get our children out of the bathrooms at 2 am? Because I don't think it is going to be you.

3 comments:

Liz! said...

WHAT?!!?

But wait! I had my trusty Gerber multi-tool with me! Holding my football a bit steadier, I whipped out the mini-screwdriver, took off the doorknob casing, pulled out the latch, and escaped the clutches of the bathroom.

Bull Shit!

Tell them how it really went...because I totally remember you sitting back and playing with your football after you gave up and me getting you out of it.

Oh, yeah, and lots & lots & lots of laughing.

oogRobot said...

Definitely only a partial truth. There were no screws on the outside of the doorknob, it could only be unscrewed from the inside!

The gerber was essential to getting me out of the situation, as was the football. If either one was not present, I'd probably still be in that bathroom.

I did receive some help after taking off the knob, which could only be done from the inside. So perhaps I exaggerated that portion a little bit.

Jennie said...

I totally agree! I never go anywhere without a knife and fire.