2008-10-20

Wacko Political Views

I know this is all over the 'net, but I have deep respect for Colin Powell and his stance on the Republican party's current insinuations:

I'm also troubled by, not what Sen. McCain says, but what members of the party say, and it is permitted to be said such things as: "Well, you know that Mr. Obama is a Muslim." Well, the correct answer is: he is not a Muslim. He's a Christian. He's always been a Christian.

But the really right answer is: What if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer is: No, that's not America. Is there something wrong with some 7-year-old, Muslim-American kid believing he or she can be President?

Yet I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion: he's a Muslim, and he might be associated with terrorists. This is not the way we should be doing it in America.


During this interview, Powell also mentioned one of the most poignant photographs I've seen. The photo is from a high-quality, New Yorker slideshow.

(props to the New Yorker for being a classy magazine)

No comments: