2008-11-12

Geographical Variation in Sensitivity to Blue Light

We have a blue laser in one of our setup rooms, and my Japanese colleague's eyes appear to be more sensitive to blue light than my own. We pointed the laser at the wall and pointed to where we thought the light ended, and the two European descendants (Swiss and American) both saw less blue light than the non-Europeans (Iranian and Japanese). Has anyone heard of cross-regional studies in sensitivity to blue light? Neither I nor my Swiss colleague had heard this before, but my Japanese colleague said this was (somewhat) common knowledge.

My head is spinning thinking that people from different regions see all of art differently. I wonder if this has an effect on designing web logos? Would we expect to see different shades in different regions?

EDIT: Since laser light contains only specific frequencies, someone suggested that we might be most sensitive to different frequencies of light. This is known to occur - there are variations in what frequencies people are most sensitive to. Some studies even suggest that a faction of women have four different kinds of cones, rather than three.

1 comment:

JD said...

dont feel bad, you probably see yellow better than they do.